After using the simple sql server 2005 data transfer utility for some days I thought to add more functionality such as import export data from excel, CSV, flat file etc.
Before start coding I just did a Google search and found this big and interesting discussion in MSDN forums. In the first page developers were really annoyed with the fact MS is not giving a data transfer utility with Sql Server Management Studio Express.
I read the conversation one by one and in the 5th page I found this posting by Bill Elicson. MS actually has a really great DTS tool for sql server management studio express.
Thanks Bill.. you saved alot of time.
STEPS TO ADD DTS WIZARD WITH SQL SERVER MANAGEMNT STUDIO EXPRESS
1. Try "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\DTSWizard.exe"
If it worked, you already have the DTS Wizard. Start using it right away.
If it will not work, continue to step 2
2. Download the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Toolkit (223.9 MB) from
select all components to install
3. Run "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\DTSWizard.exe"
Thats it.. Now you can transfer data using the the great DTS wizard.
Follow the steps If you want to integrate it with the Sql server management studio express UI .
1. Open sql server management studio express.
2. Select Tools -> External Tools
3. Add a Title and Browse C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90 \DTS\Binn\DTSWizard.exe for the Command field.
3. Click OK
Importing Exporting Data sql server express,sql server express data transfer, dts sql server express, sqlserver express DTS, move data sqlexpress 2005, SQLEXPRESS 2005 to SQL 2000 Data Transfer, Data import/export with SQL Server Express using DTS Wizard, Data Transfer between SQL Server and SQL Server Express